Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A month ago I posted a geek alert about multitouch surfaces. In one of the comments I said, "With a little tweaking you can combine ir sensor technology and a projector to create this kind of interactive surface on any wall. With a little more work you can make those interactive surfaces follow you from room to room and rotate to any wall in whatever room you are in. You could even "send" you screen around the room by passing it from one person to another."

I have seen the various kinds of technology that would be required to make this happen but today I have seen them combined. Below is the video on this. I"m not saying my comment gave someone the idea, but it is really cool that I mention it about the time they are filming this. Anyways, this kind of technology is right around the corner and the ways that these things can and will be used are very exciting. Like I said above, imagine using it to pass notes around when brain storming. You could write on a piece of paper then pull that paper off the pad and make a pass gesture and everyone in the room will get your completed idea. School use will also be incredibly useful allowing for each student to have displays that can be wirelessly moved up to the board or turned in. Fill out a scan-tron and when you are done the computer automatically computes your score before you leave the class.

Enjoy




Anyone else geeking out just a bit?

7 comments:

katdish said...

Do you have to be a geek to view the video? I see nothing.

Nick the Geek said...

Weird, it shows perfectly on my end. Maybe your geekiness is not high enough.

Try the direct link
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

Unknown said...

It's pretty cool. Hopefully it'll come in a smaller package by the time the start mass-producing it.

I'm still waiting for them to come out with the holograph technology that so many movies told us about where you could project a 3D image without a wall or surface from a watch or whatever. I'll hold out for that.

In the meantime, I'll just keep drooling over the G1 that I'll never get because I have AT&T (don't like the iPhone)...

Nick the Geek said...

bman,

3D holographic tech is in place but not quite like Star Wars just yet. It is in relative infancy but pretty cool none-the-less. I'm not sure if they will ever go with straight up 3D holograms though. There is another technology in the making that can create 3D imaging by shining into your eyes using real time tracking so as you move around the 3D object you see different angles of it.

Speaking of phones, have you seen the Palm Pre? It is coming out this summer on Sprint but should become available on other networks sometime after that. I think it is way sexier than the iPhone with some really interesting features including the ability to keep apps open and flip through them for faster transitions.

Check out the Pre

Max02 said...

That. Was. Awesome!

Not to sure about that word "implants" at the end, though...

Nick the Geek said...

Max02,

yeah the implant part is a bit scary, but I tend to hold that the mark will be in the forearm in the form of RFID, but something like this might work as well ... kind of.

Max02 said...

Revelation marks not included, I just don't like the word "implant" at all.

Post a Comment