Monday, March 2, 2009

I know I've already talked about the Transformers before, but I really loved that show. I was so afraid of the movie because I worried it would ruin my memories. Sure it departed from the story quite a bit but you had to expect that. The essence of what Transformers is didn't change with the movie though. More than that, they worked in several references to the original cartoon. One scene has Sam Witwicky saying to the girl he likes, "With you there is more than meets the eye." I about fell out of my seat in the theater when I first heard him say that. It was so corny and exactly the kind of retarded thing his geeky teen character would say. Trust me, teen guys are always trying to say things to impress pretty girls but they fail miserably.

I was sitting with a group of them while everyone was getting changed into dry clothes after playing in the snow on Friday and they were working on pickup lines. I don't know how I kept a straight face but inside I was laughing so hard my sides hurt.

Anyways, this is such an important lesson. I don't know if you remember the show and the toys, but this line has more to it than just the cars and such that turned into robots. At one point they started making the toys with decals that were black until you put your finger on them to reveal if they were Decepticons or Autobots, and eventually a series that showed one affiliate but heat revealed their true loyalties.

I wish people were this easy to identify. Christians get a mark so we know they are Christian but if they are only pretending then we could hold their hand for a minute till the true mark showed through.

This would be great everywhere, but it isn't reality so we have to remember that with everyone there is more than meets the eye. People are unique individuals and despite looking like they are too weird or different they have more in common with you than you think, and the ones that seem just like you have their own thoughts and dreams.

So check that out, two posts today and I'm back on track.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an excellent message and deals with Transformers! Awesome.

I always like GI Joe and Transformers and Thundercats and Masters of the Universe. Any comparison to one of those, and I'm right there with you. Now, I don't always remember the characters like some people, but the feeling I get talking about them just reminds me of my childhood love for it.

This is a great way to relay a message because it sinks in better. Kind of like how I want to read the ESV Bible because it was compared to Snake Eyes and he was awesome!

Good work! You must be a fun youth leader!

Nick the Geek said...

I'll be coming back to all of them. I like to think that I'm a fun youth leader but references to 80s cartoons tends to net me a whole lot of blank stares. Kids these days have no culture.

Now letting them shove cupcakes in my face seems to entertain them.

Unknown said...

Ha! That kind of thing always entertained me!

Post a Comment