Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Later this month I get to have a "anything goes" service. I'm really excited and have been planning. I want to go over the top. If it gets me fired I want this to be something the community talks about for years. Actually my pastor is really cool about things but I'm going to try and push the limits because I can.

One of the thoughts I had was a t-shirt cannon. I have several old youth group tees I'd like to get rid of. I looked into it and those aren't cheep. They start at close to $1000. Rentals aren't cheap either but I'll keep looking around. I am all about DIY so I looked to see if I could find instructions.



I have a spare paintball gun and I am going to try and mod that into a tee shirt cannon. I'm not sure if I can ramp the velocity enough to shoot a shirt a hundred feet or so, but if I can it will be beyond awesome.
~edit~
Research has shown me that a paintball gun will not get enough air so I'll need a different trigger device. I am thinking I'll try something like the video, but use my air compressor to fill it instead of a bicycle pump. I can leave it hooked up with a gate valve so after each shot I load the cannon open and close the gate valve then fire again.

Anyone got any advice?

11 comments:

katdish said...

Advice? Yes - Try not to harm yourself or any low flying birds during your research. Too bad you're not our neighbor. Ron keeps every piece of crap thing that doesn't work anymore for "parts". That is, until I secretly take a load of stuff to the recycle place. Alas, I've said too much...

Nick the Geek said...

If everything goes according to plan I'll start with 20-30 lbs charge outside and adjust from there. It might not take much pressure at all since we will be shooting in the building.

Helen said...

Advice: Watch your fingers. I mean carefully. Count them after each experiment to make sure they are all there. Have plenty of ice handy in case.

Nick the Geek said...

helen,

Always good advice. I try very hard to keep track of my fingers whenever I'm working on a project.

Marni said...

Advice? Goggles. And parental waivers. And legal retainer money, ya know, just in case.

Godspeed with the t-shirt cannon idea!

Beth said...

One time I visited a Christian college to see if I wanted to attend there. The students rigged a tennis ball shooter thing to go off during chapel. It started up during the very serious talk by the speaker/preacherr. I wasn't impressed. I'm all for fun and games, but I thought it ruined what the guy had to say and showed the lack of respect the students had for visitors and God's word in general. It pretty much made me not want to go to that school. And I didn't. Maybe I'm a wet blanket...
But all that to say make sure your over the top stuff has a point!

Nick the Geek said...

Marni,
Safety equipment is always a good idea.

Beth,
I try to make sure things have a point even if the point is that there is a time for everything, including having fun. Setting off something funny during the middle of serious is not good timing.

Unknown said...

Sweet.....Letz do it!

Nick the Geek said...

Lee,

Glad to have you on board. I'll be designing the prototype this week.

James said...

So how exactly does a t-shirt cannon help preach Christ crucified?

Nick the Geek said...

James,
It doesn't. I have never heard any kind of cannon speak let alone preach. It can be a tool to help get a crowd together though, but mostly it is fun.

There is a time and a place for everything, and this includes having fun. Church and church events don't need to be stale and dry. I would love to see people get as excited about God as they do about football. More excited actually. That is where things like the t-shirt cannon come into play.

Post a Comment