Monday, April 13, 2009

I grew up in the 80s and so learned a lot from watching 80's cartoons. In fact I think almost everything I learned can be summed up in 80's cartoons.

I usually watched the good cartoons like He Man, Thundercats, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, and other shows like those. I did occasionally watch the other cartoons because it was too rainy or I was sick or for some other reason I couldn't go play but could watch cartoons. On those occasions I would watch whatever came on including Care Bears, which is where today's lesson comes from.

Sharing is a very important lesson for kids to learn. Of course sharing isn't always caring. I am sick right now because my kids always share that kind of stuff. Very rude of them if you ask me. Some things you just keep to yourself.

Most of the time, though, sharing is caring. Yesterday was Easter and my kids hunted eggs in the yard. My oldest seems to get the concept of sharing but my oldest boy, not so much. He stole and egg right out of his younger sister's hand because he wanted it then pitched a big ol' fit when we made him give it back. This isn't a one time event, but he is learning. My oldest didn't always like to share but she is getting better. It seems like most cartoons in the 80s promoted good values, but very few now-a-days do. Even the ones that do promote good values seem to miss some very important things.

Anyways, if you aren't familiar with the Care Bears then watch the video.



I always preferred more action oriented shows, but when it comes to sharing few cartoons did a better job.

3 comments:

jasonS said...

My little girl has a Care Bears DVD that she loves. This is how I know I love her, I sat down and watched (multiple episodes) with her.

I never watched the show when I was a kid, and now I know why. Oh well, I would like to find teenage mutant ninja turtles on DVD- that would be cool.

katdish said...

My favorite cartoons were Scooby Doo, Hair Bear Bunch, Hong Kong Phooey, and Johnny Quest. How's that for a mixed bag? I also watched Fraggle Rock and in earlier years, H.R. Puffinstuff. (Which might explain some drug experimentation in later years.)

Nick the Geek said...

jason,

I have 2 daughters and like 6 or 7 Care Bear DVDs. I have watched much more of that show than I ever did as a child. Of course I only watched those shows as a last resort. As a kid I spent great amounts of my time outside. I need to just kick my kids out like my parents did. It is mostly safe, assuming they don't run into any wild animals or go down to the road.

katdish,
I enjoyed Scooby Doo and Johnny Quest when they were on but never tried to watch them. I never liked Fraggle Rock that much but it is pretty cool to watch now. GI Joe told me not to do drugs.

Post a Comment