Monday, December 15, 2008

The fact is that Youth are not adults, they are kids. I'm not sure when the transition is, but it happens sometime after 21. Possibly after 30 because I"m not sure how much of an adult I am, but that might just be me because my wife seems to be pretty grown up, but taking care of 4 children can do that to a person. Not that I don't take care of my kids, but I tend to play more than anything, which might be why she seems so frustrated. If I were more grown up that might worry me ...

Anyways, my point has something to do with working with the Youth and the joy and frustration that can come from the experience. I don't knwo who said it, and I'm too lazy to try and look it up, but some famous director said once, "never work with animals or kids." I'm not sure if this is true in Hollywood, but in the church it is an absolute lie. Sure you have to go out of your way. My kids often need rides because their parents aren't going to bother. This can be a hassle. I have to tell them about 500 times, call them the night before, the morning of, and 5 minutes before, and still end up waiting for them because they forgot all about it. Nothing ever gets back home to parents no matter how many times I beg and plead and offer hard cash, ok money might work but I don't have that kind of budget.

Despite all the craziness working with the Youth is the best experience. I have more energy because of it for one thing. Plus, big church would freak if I put a pie in someone's face. I don't have to try to make them change as much as guide them as they grow, and that is a huge difference. Imagine trying to change the way a 50 year old oak has grown. It is almost impossible, but take a sapling and you can shape it while it is still tender so that it will lean this way or that way when it is grown.

People sometimes wonder why I work with teens. I guess I wonder why I have such a hard time getting volunteers. If people got it, I mean really understood then I think I'd have a waiting list. Now if I could just figure out how to make them understand?