Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I have a stack of books to read. Many are recommended non-fiction ministry related stuff. I haven't really had time to read much at all, but one good thing about being sick so much is I was able to squeeze in some time for reading.

One of the books I am reading is Saint by Ted Dekker. I have like three Ted Dekker books in my to read pile of fiction. The Showdown is the other book I was considering when I started Saint. I picked Saint because it sounded interesting. Generally the book has been enjoyable. Some of the explanations are a little strange, and even annoying, but I can suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story, it is fiction after all. My real frustration is that this book is essentially a sequel to Showdown. This information is not related on the dust cover and not really until I got almost halfway into the book.

Admittedly, so far this hasn't affected my ability to understand the book, but I still wish I had read Showdown first because now I think that I know too much about how that book plays out. This really is information that should be clearly printed on a book cover. I know Ted Dekker likes to keep you guessing and knowing the connection to Showdown might have ruined a small surprise, but not knowing either way means I know too much going into Showdown. Someone didn't think this through.

Anyways, some other books I'm reading or planning to read include: Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry, What Happened to my Church?, and The 7 Principles of an Evangelistic Life. I have several more on hand or that have been recommended to me. I think I need to schedule myself a day each week to get through them all. Seeing as I'm booked all week I have two options, I give up my day off, which all of my books on ministry tell me will cost my family, or I add an extra day to the week.

I know a lot of other people feel the same way, so I say we just start going with an 8 day week. I propose we add the day after Wednesday. I know that seems silly, I mean why not add it to the end or beginning of the week, but when you think about it the middle makes much more sense. If you add the day to the beginning of the week then we'll all have to hate a new day instead of Monday. That is just going to cause confusion. If we add it at the end of the week it will mess with the whole "day of worship debate." It is bad enough trying to decide if we are suppose to have church on Saturday or Sunday, if we toss a new day in the mix then, we'll end up with a three way throw down at the ministers' prayer meetings, and a three way fight is much harder than a two way fight. This leaves the middle of the week, and you know you shouldn't move hump day. A lot of people start looking for the weekend on Thursday, so that leaves after Wednesday. The advantage is, that people putting in a 5 day week can take off Friday, when half of them already checkout on, so we'll have higher quality goods and such. See it's a win win win win …

So if you agree please forward this to everyone on your contact list and God will give you your wish and good luck will follow you, but if you don't forward this you'll die in a horrible accident due to quality control problems from the Friday shift workers.

Anyone have ideas what the new day should be called?