Thursday, December 11, 2008

So I stumbled across this pretty cool website. I mentioned it briefly in my post "Let's Talk Sex." It is a Text polling service. You can use it for free with up to 30 responses per poll and unlimited polls. There are fees beyond that based on how many responses you need to allow. Basically you make up a question, either multiple choice or text response, open the poll and provide the information to the people you want to respond.

I did this with my talk on sex and it went over great. They were asking this week if we would be doing that again. I am planning on doing this fairly regularly now. One of the really cool parts is that you can embed the app into a PowerPoint slide and it will show how to respond and also update automatically as responses start coming in. I was able to put a slide up and start talking while they were giving me feedback on what I was talking about. I think that is the most interaction I've ever had with my Youth. I will admit that there is a level of distraction, but face it, you are probably fighting them to stop texting anyways right? Might as well harness the problem and turn it into something fun and interactive.

Anyways, I'll be posting results from these polls from time to time, and just in case someone thinks this might be handy here is a link to the site.

http://www.polleverywhere.com