Monday, August 25, 2008

I have a floor. Ok, maybe it wasn’t ever that bad, but the past few weeks have been pretty busy, so my weekly plan has fallen by the wayside. Normally I like to come in on Monday and clean my office first thing. Then I sit down and prioritize my week. It takes me 2-3 hours first thing each week, but I wager that I gain more than that by going in with a plan. I find that I just can’t focus when the mess piles up around me, so the ritual of cleaning is very important, but it is the first thing that I nix when I feel like I’m overwhelmed with things to do. I also know that sitting down and prioritizing and planning my week will make it so I accomplish everything without forgetting important details and yet, the past few weeks I came in on Monday with a list of things that “had to get done” and so I didn’t plan my week.

These are well known time killers. If you ever read a book on the subject you will find that you must plan time to clean and organize your life if you want to have any hope of getting through the clog of busy work that threatens to drown us all.

I think we don’t understand just how many other things really kill us when we cast them aside to make room for more “urgent” things. Prayer and time with God’s word are so important, but I know personally I will start my super busy days by getting up earlier than normal to get a jump start but end the day tired and feeling like I need a few more hours to get everything done. When I think back I remember that even though I got up earlier than normal I didn’t do my devos. I believe that if we remember to put God first, He will go before us and make everything so much easier.

I know that I am likely to fail the next time I have a crazy day or week ahead, but I also know that God can help me do better. Maybe I’ll remember as I’m heading out the door and stop for a couple minutes of prayer. Maybe this time will begin to grow as I notice that the day does run more smoothly.

Anyways, here’s to a clean office and time with God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. The messier my office is, the more jumbled my thoughts seem to be.

As far as starting the day with devotions, that's very hard for me. I'm not a morning person and I'm usually running late. I started the habit of praying (out loud) for my daughter on the way to daycare each morning and now she reminds me. As soon as we get in the car, she'll say "Pay, Mommy! Pay!" (She's two.) For now, that's my mornings with God and my devotions wait until after my daughter is in bed at night. It works for us.

Nick the Geek said...

@jenn3,

Thanks for commenting.

I think God accepts devos after the kids go to bed. I hope so because mine often end up then. I actually try to do them when I get to work though. I plan my day with a soft start if I can. It is just easier.

I worked at a Bible College for almost 7 years. During that time we had prayer and devos each morning before work except Wednesday; that is the day we had chapel with the students.

BTW, does your daughter pray yet? I have 4 kids now. My youngest daughter is 2 and she prayers for her food, "God is great God is Great God is Great Amen Amen Amen." It is way cute when you hear it because it is very sing song.

Post a Comment