Thursday, July 16, 2009

Who goes to the circus anymore? I think I've been on one circus in my life. I'm not against the idea of a circus but I just don't go. If I ever had the money I'd love to catch Cirque du Soliel. That's some frigintastical stuff there. I've seen several shows of the acts and would love to see that in person, but honestly it will likely never happen. It's just not that big of a deal.

Of course, the big top has nothing to do with this post. This is the traditional Youth night follow-up.

Tonight was interesting. This was the first time I departed from my planed sermon. I was supposed to speak on being a servant as a follow-up to last week. I have it all planned out but I just couldn't shake the idea that has been burdening me these past weeks. Sometime before service I just knew I had to talk about that so I sorta just opened my heart to them.

I told my students how I've been feeling a heavy burden for them knowing that so many don't have parents that know how to be parents. I just talked about the stuff I posted yesterday and encouraged them to come to me or the other workers. I told them how I wanted to be with them all anytime they needed someone but I can't always be. Still I wanted them to come to me and I would do my best to make time, or they could go to the other leaders.

Anyways, everyone seemed to really appreciate what I said. I was given the opportunity to back up what I was saying right after service.

One of the girls feels lost in her family. Her parents are divorced and are both dating and giving less and less attention to her. She is allowed to do what she wants, stay out as late as she wants and when it comes down to it she wants to have rules. I let her talk for quite a while as we sat on the floor. It must have seemed weird to see with me sitting a few feet away not even looking at her much of the time she talked. I was paying absolute attention but I try to keep a level of distance between myself in the girls. I got my wife to come over and let her hug on the girl and put her arm around her as we prayed.

I'm also starting a new contest with my youth. I send out a text with a question. The first person to respond back gets a free lunch with my wife and me. We are taking one of the youth to CiCi's tomorrow.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the prayers. I think this is why I needed them. There are so many in the Youth that are in this same place. I hope to spend more time with each of them.

5 comments:

Candy said...

I love the way you have your wife hang out with you and the girls. I'm thinking she must be really proud of you. I admire the respect you show to both the girl and your wife. Press on, Nick.

Nick the Geek said...

Candy,

It is important on so many levels. They need a Godly woman in their lives. Also, I try to keep a Godly distance between myself and women I'm not married to (so all but my wife in case you were wondering).

I heard Monday about a youth minister who destroyed his marriage with one of his students. Not worth it.

Marni said...

Cirque is so cool. We were fortunate enough to catch it in Branson Missouri for a really inexpensive price. If you get a chance, go. It's seriously cool.

Okay on to my real comment...I'm praying for your student who feels lost in her own family. Being a teen is hard when all conditions are ideal, but add in parents who don't care...and I just can't imagine what that baby is going through. You and your wife are a blessing to sit on the floor and talk to her. I imagine she doesn't get much time with adults just spending time with her. Thank God for your influence over her.

After reading your post yesterday, I couldn't shake some of what you said about your kids. I've been "praying without ceasing" for them and for you. I will continue on with that today.

Marni said...

I worked with youth and college kids for 6 years as a volunteer leader. Our YP had the same rule of females counseling females and males counseling males. For the same reasons you listed. But at the same time, we all tried to do what you do...spend time with all the kids in a casual way (like sitting on the floor) but keeping a respectful distance. Some of them were just so hungry for an adult...any adult...to pay attention to them and we just tried to have the discernment to know when and how to do that.

It would break my heart to think that if we weren't there to invest in them and listen, they'd go elsewhere to have that need met. The thought of where they could have gone or done to meet that need kept me on my knees daily.

Nick the Geek said...

Marni,
Thanks for the prayers. I can't even begin to explain just how much we need them right now. It seems like so many are hurting right now in really big ways.

It breaks my heart to think about the ways they can try and help themselves, and how some of them are struggling to even be allowed at church. I will never understand some "parents."

Post a Comment