Tuesday, July 7, 2009

After the Giant Sequoias we drove to Eureka. I'll admit I didn't expect the SciFi (or should I say SyFy) show. I didn't expect what I found either. Eureka is a decent sized coastal town in Northern California. I expected it to be about the same as all the other decent sized coastal towns I had been to in CA. What I got was a town that was more hick than any I had been to in a long time.

We went to the mall, which was actually a pretty nice mall. That made the next part even more shocking. I walked into a mullet convention. Seriously I saw like 10 mullets. I haven't seen that many mullets in the past 2 or 3 years. It's like the government setup a refuge for mullets in the town of Eureka and then covered it up with a SyFy show depicting the most advanced town in America.

Anyways, this is where I spent my 10th anniversary with my wife. We watched a movie together while my in-laws played with our kids and then we got a table to ourselves at Applebees. We are trying to save money for a trip down to GA at the resort we stayed at for our honeymoon this fall. Here's hoping.

After dinner we drove to Orlean, CA which is located roughly in the 90s. More on that tomorrow.

9 comments:

Beth said...

When we worked with the youth, every time we went to an amusement park the kids would take pictures of all the people they saw with mullets...kind of a documentary of the trip in mullets. I tried to discourage it a little, but it made me laugh so much...what a role model I was.

Nick the Geek said...

Beth,

That sounds like fun, we are making a trip from thursday-friday. It sounds like something I might have to encourage. It is much nicer than the "hug an emo" encouragement that the previous yp used.

Marni said...

They hold mullet conventions? I've got family that should attend...

Sadly, where we live, I'm seeing a re-surgence of mullets. It's disturbing to say the least.

I've enjoyed the trip accounts and the photos. Thanks for sharing!!

Shark Bait said...

Sounds like you're having a pretty hairy time on this trip.

...

WV: TRIPP - I kid you not.

Wendy said...

And you were without a camera for this hairfest? There went a bunch of Kodak moments.

wv: RHARR: What I say when I see a mullet. While doing a claw action, of course.

Greg Brannan said...

My foreman wears a mullet. He can be...um...hard to work for, so we call him Darth Mullet! XD

Stephanie Wetzel said...

I would've loved to see the mulletfest. But only if I could take Wendy with me. Her RAHR and claw action would make the whole experience frigintastic.

katdish said...

You haven't lived until you visit south Texas and experience the power that is the "mulletino".

Frigintastic!

Nick the Geek said...

Marni,
I think most of my family has abandoned the mullet, which is kinda surprising considering the family.

SB,
*snicker*

Wendy,
I had a camera but I was worried about damaging it.

Greg,
Sounds like a character for Space Balls the sequel.

Steph,
Rharr claw action Wendy, sounds like the must have Christmas toy ... but not in the kinda store that I would shop in.

katdish,
I've seen it. I lived in OK during the 80s and 90s ... you can't un-see some things.

Post a Comment