Monday, July 6, 2009

Katdish seems to think I'm full of time and so she keeps recommending books on her blog that sound really good. The latest is The Jumbo Shrimp Gospel. The book sounds great and it lines up with the kind of paradox that I was thinking about while walking among the giants.

Our third day in California we awoke on the edge of Humboldt state park, which is a giant sequoia forest. These are "costal redwoods" that are known to be the tallest of the redwoods. Others are wider but not as tall. I had seen many pictures in the past but there is no way to grasp just how tall these trees are until you are there. The problem is that they are so big you cannot put them in perspective on film. Other trees just aren't tall enough to show off the towering nature of these giants.

Yet, walking among the tallest living things on this planet I am struck that they are not the giants they pretend to be. Many times in the Old Testament it refers to the great northern cedars. I imagine they much be something like these behemoth trees.

Psalms 29:5
The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
       the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon

Imagine that. As I stood among the tallest trees and saw the damage they had weathered I wondered at the voice that can break those trees into pieces is the same voice that spoke life into me and called me good. The same voice that called out to me in the dark places and speaks softly to me every day. The same voice that I ignore all to often.

Imagine that.



Like I said, you can't get the magnitude of these trees that are well over 200' above me.



Yeah so please remember I'm over 6' tall. That is as good as I can get for perspective. Not an easy tree to fell.



So I'm thinking that the classic car in the tree is as close as I can get to demonstrating just how big these trees really are.

8 comments:

jasonS said...

Amazing and humbling...

Nick the Geek said...

jasonS,
do you have a time machine just so you can leave the first comment? I just posted this.

Helen said...

That tree is awesome.
I get it. The point is that it is, yet not as awesome as its Creator.
Awesome.

Nick the Geek said...

Helen,
I would have gone with frigintastic but close enough.

Wendy said...

Okay, so how big are the trees?

Yeah, couldn't resist.

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Awe-inspiring and frigintastic.

I loved this:

the voice that can break those trees into pieces is the same voice that spoke life into me and called me good.

Welcome back! Sorry you missed out on sunsets, but I'm glad you got to experience these redwoods.

Candy said...

How many rings on that tree? I would love to visit there sometime. I'm sure they would speak to me as well. But why is your wife sleeping? And why are you smiling? is your MIL underneath that tree?

And those kids are oh-so-cute and show God's handiwork even louder than the trees...

Nick the Geek said...

Wendy,
Roughly a 200xs taller than Sherri. Yeah, couldn't resist.

Steph,
Yeah that is the line that really got me when I felt it in the forest.

Candy,
I'm going with more than I could count. It was an old growth tree though, so probably 1,500-2000 (yeah some of these trees were around at the time of Christ). 2nd growth trees can get that big in just a couple hundred years though. Weird but true.

Post a Comment