Thursday, February 26, 2009

I knew this day would come. I spent way to long getting my BA so when I was done I didn't want to think about education anymore. I made a mistake this week. It has been 4 years since I finished my undergrad degree so I guess the disdain I have for learning has worn off. I was reading Group magazine and saw an ad for Seminary. That is all it took.

Next thing I know I'm looking at the website and then checked out about a dozen other seminary programs. Most cost too much, but I found that Liberty caps their tuition for Seminary at $2000 per semester for 9-15 hours. I can complete my Master of Arts in Theology, a 36 hour program, in one year online for about $6500. Then, if I want, I can go back to get a 60 hour degree and only need to take 24 hours extra in another year or two. After that I could get my M.Div. which is 90 credits and will only have to take the last 30 credits.

Of course, taking 12 credits a semester online for a year straight is gonna be murder, so I am feeling very anxious about this fall. Of course this all assumes I'm able to get some things in place that will let me cut back some on my church hours and also pay the $2150 per semester.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Well, one more thing you can share with my husband. He started his Master's in personal evangelism and church planting online at Liberty last fall. He's only going part time (two 9 week classes a semester) because of silly things like his job that pays the bills for our family and the whole leaders in a church plant thing....but it's been a very positive experience so far. The amount of reading tends to kick his butt sometimes, but it's been doable for our family. That's a pretty big endorsement since this comes from a wife who's with the kids all week and then has to keep tabs all during the weekend, too, since he has to hole up and concentrate on school stuff then. ;) Liberty is very good to work with. The other day they called just to see how he was doing. TOTALLY different than the state school we got our undergrad degrees from!
So there's my two cents. But keep prayin' and stuff.

By the way...how's the week of prayer going?

Nick the Geek said...

Beth,

I'm looking forward to the classes and I hope I can keep up the full-time course load because it will be a fair bit cheaper and I'll only have to keep it up for a year. I considered that degree also but will probably get the MA Theo with an emphasis in Discipleship.

The prayer week is pretty good. We'll be finishing up tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if this will creep into the SYP storyline now...

Taking all that on is courageous, my friend. Yet isn't really just another way to immerse yourself in God? S'all good.

Post a Comment