Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tonight was a cold and rainy night. So far I have referenced a movie I never watched and the worst noir opening ever. I'm off to a great start.

Anyways, it really was cold and rainy so attendance was down a little. Not much though, which really surprises me based on the fact that I am switching to a much more bible study type presentation. We have spent the past three weeks on Matthew 5. During this I start by reading the passage we are covering and then explaining that section within the culture and how it relates to us. Then I preach on a specific point. I really thought that several would stop coming Wednesday when I started the Bible study transition but I was wrong. Now for those that know me you can pick your jaw up off the floor. I've often said that I can be wrong and if it happens I'm happy to admit it. Here is proof. I'll even say it again. I was wrong about losing students when I started teaching without the fun times.

Of course, I still need to explain picking up cars with boys. When one of the parents was dropping off her student tonight her car broke. It was right in the entrance and wouldn't pull forward. The rear passenger tire was leaning, which is generally a bad thing. I got the car jacked up and pulled the tire to see if it might be some kind of simple fix to at least move the car, but it was bad. This vehicle has a rear ball joint which had completely separated. Very bad. We had to get a bunch of guys together and pick up the rear of the car as we pushed it forward into a parking space. All of this in the cold rain. Fortunately I was wearing my motorcycle jacket, which is somewhat water proof.

8 comments:

katdish said...

I really think we try too hard to offer folks entertainment, when what they really seek is Jesus. If we present Him in a truthful and compelling way, people will be drawn in.

"If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me."

You always seem to be smack dab in the middle of somebody's car troubles.

Sarah Salter said...

My brother had the same thing happen to his truck a few years ago. He literally drove it into the ground. Not good! But at least there's a silver lining... You got a good workout yesterday. :o)

Helen said...

I am glad they stayed. There is a time for the fun. There is a time for study. (Not exactly Ecclesiattes, but you get what I mean.) I hope they continue to stay, study, and get all they can from this season.

Candy said...

There is nothin' you can't fix, Nick. Cars and youth - you know 'em both.

Nick the Geek said...

katdish,
I tend to agree and I never pushed for entertainment so much as allowing fun. I still allow the fun but on Wednesday it is much less than it use to be because we have several hours on Saturday now. Seriously I'm getting sick of car stuff, I still have enough of my own car problems.

Sarah,
I've seen it happen to the front end but this is a first on the rear end. I've never worked on a car with rear ball joints, nothing is supposed to pivot back there.

Helen,
I really do pray that the Bible study continues to grow as well.

Candy,
Now u sound like my kids, but there are plenty of things I can't fix, including the teens. I just try to hand them over to God.

bman said...

It's encouraging to hear that youth are intrigued by an actual study. I agree with katdish with the presenting the truth business.

I hope it goes well for you and them, and I'm praying for the lot of you!

Peter P said...

You say that you got some guys to help you lift the car... you don't have to be shy though, just admit that you did it all your superhero-self!

Nick the Geek said...

bman,

Yeah, people are very much interested in what is real.

PeterP,
shhh don't go blowing my cover.

Post a Comment